New York Building Collapse: Investigators Find Multiple Safety Violations at Chinatown Building After Possible Gas Explosion Injures 12 (Video)

By

An explosion caused a partial building collapse in Chinatown downtown Manhattan that sent eight people and four firefighters to the hospital on Thursday afternoon, CBS Local news reported. The incident took place at 17 Pike St. The neighborhood was blocked off for hours following what appeared to be a gas explosion, local New York media said.

Of the injuries, three were listed in critical condition, having suffered from burns and smoke inhalation, EMS told the local WCBS radio affiliate. The firefighters' injuries had been listed as minor. The cause of the explosion was not immediately clear, but later investigators attributed it to improper use of bug bombs. The blast happened in a beauty salon in the rear of the building, local radio 1010 WINS reported.

Investigators were also looking into a possible gas leak.

"We had a fire and an explosion on the first floor. We had minimum collapse but heavy fire on the first floor with extension to the second and third floor," Fire Chief Robert Boyce said.

The American Red Cross said it provided emergency housing for 28 adults and three children left homeless after a vacate order was issued for the building, Yahoo News reported.

"I'm feel really bad about what happened to those people, but I'm just a little worried where am I going to stay," Misty Lee, a woman lives on the fifth floor of the building said.

The fire was brought under control shortly after 1:30 p.m on Thursday afternoon.

Tags
New York City

© 2026 Lawyer Herald All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Discussion
More News
US-RELIGION-CRIME

Fatal San Diego Mosque Shooting Intensifies Debate Over Federal Hate Crime Enforcement

Mackenzie Shirilla

Mackenzie Shirilla's Dad Says He Couldn't Control Her Choices To Use Drugs, Calls Prosecutor in Daughter's Murder Case Lazy

San Diego Mosque Shooting

San Diego Mosque Shooters Shared Live Video of the Attack and Lengthly Document Citing Islamophobic Views

Luigi Mangione

Judge Allows Luigi Mangione's Notebook Writings and Gun To Be Included as Evidence in Upcoming Murder Trial