Former Blackwater guards sentenced to prison in 2007 Baghdad killings

By

A federal judge sentenced four former Blackwater security guards to lengthy prison terms on Monday in the 2007 massacre of 14 unarmed Iraqis, closing a chapter of the U.S. war in Iraq that tested relations between the two countries.

Nicholas Slatten was sentenced to life in prison for his murder conviction in the killings at a Baghdad traffic circle.

U.S. District Court Judge Royce Lamberth sentenced three other former Blackwater guards, convicted of manslaughter in the killings, to 30 years each.

The four guards opened fire with machine guns and grenade launchers on the unarmed Iraqi civilians, including women and children, at Nisur Square on Sept. 16, 2007. A heavily armed, four-truck Blackwater Worldwide convoy had been trying to clear a path for U.S. diplomats.

In addition to the killings, at least 17 Iraqis were injured.

Slatten was convicted in October, along with ex-guards Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard.

North Carolina-based Blackwater was sold and renamed several times. It is now called Academi, based in northern Virginia.

Tags
Manslaughter
Join the Discussion
More News
No Jail for Medical Student Found Guilty of Raping Drunk

No Jail for Medical Student Found Guilty of Raping Drunk Woman Who 'Couldn't Possibly Consent': He Is 'Young' and 'Talented'

Puerto Rican Server Told to 'Go Back to Mexico' By

Puerto Rican Server Told to 'Go Back to Mexico' by Customers in Racist Note: 'No Tips for Illegals'

Georgia Man Chris Louis Leaves Children at McDonald's

Georgia Dad Left Young Children at McDonald's While He Went to a Job Interview. Cops Were Waiting When He Returned

Kolstad Stoeckel

Minnesota Man Begged Deputies to 'Put One in My Head' After Shooting Sleeping Roommate: Police