Defense in Zimmerman Case Gaining Momentum

By

ORLANDO, Fla. - George Zimmerman, who is charged with shooting Travyon Martin, has had a strong defense case in the past two days. Zimmerman's team released audio tapes in which Zimmerman told the police that he was attacked by Martin and thought he would be killed.

In one of the February 26 interviews, Zimmerman said that Martin "jumped out from the bushes and starting punching my face knocking me down. I started screaming for help. I couldn't see. I couldn't breathe...He grabbed my head and started hitting it into the sidewalk," he said. "When he started doing that, I slid into the grass to try to get out from under him. ... I'm still yelling for help."

Zimmerman's defense lawyer, Mark O'Mara also released a written statement by the accused that shows for the first time his side of the story.

Zimmerman, 25 has always maintained that the shooting occurred as an act of self-defense. Zimmerman was on duty as volunteer watchman when he shot 17 year old Travyon Martin. He is being charged with the second degree murder in February of this year.

Last week, prosecutors released five phone calls, which shows Zimmerman's wife Shellie and Zimmerman talking about the $135,000 bond money acquired through their website. The phone calls confirm that the Zimmermans did in fact knowingly mislead the court.

Earlier this month, Shellie was charged with perjury for lying to a judge about her husband's finances. The 25-year old was released on bond, but if convicted could face up to five years in prison and a fine of $5,000.

Last month, Zimmerman had his bond revoked by the Judge, after prosecutors proved that Zimmerman and his wife had misled the court and lied about their finances. Zimmerman's bond had been set to $ 150,000 bond after him and his wife, shelly, testified to having limited financial capabilities. Zimmerman had possession of over $130, 000, which he had accommodated from his website, therealgeorgezimmerman.com, set up to help him with his legal expenses

The 911 calls made by Zimmerman before the attacks can be seen in the video below

© 2025 Lawyer Herald All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Discussion
More News
No Jail for Medical Student Found Guilty of Raping Drunk

No Jail for Medical Student Found Guilty of Raping Drunk Woman Who 'Couldn't Possibly Consent': He Is 'Young' and 'Talented'

Puerto Rican Server Told to 'Go Back to Mexico' By

Puerto Rican Server Told to 'Go Back to Mexico' by Customers in Racist Note: 'No Tips for Illegals'

Georgia Man Chris Louis Leaves Children at McDonald's

Georgia Dad Left Young Children at McDonald's While He Went to a Job Interview. Cops Were Waiting When He Returned

Kolstad Stoeckel

Minnesota Man Begged Deputies to 'Put One in My Head' After Shooting Sleeping Roommate: Police