Manila says China's 'massive' reclamation work a serious concern

By

The Philippines on Wednesday accused China of undertaking massive reclamation work on several reefs in the disputed South China Sea, expressing concern the activities could fuel tensions.

Evan Garcia, Manila's deputy foreign minister, said the reclamation activities "are not a positive development to promote our common interests" and a clear violation of what had been agreed by China and Southeast Asian states in 2002.

"Just look at the photographs, these are huge activities that are designed to change the status quo," Garcia told reporters at the end of a two-day bilateral strategic dialogue with the United States in Manila.

"It is not helpful in terms of finding a way forward and it is not an example of what anybody would understand as self-restraint."

Manila and Washington, the two closest and oldest allies in the region, discussed at length the conflicting claims in the South China Sea, a potential flash point in the Asia-Pacific region.

China lays claim to almost all of the South China Sea, believed to be rich with minerals and oil-and-gas deposits. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan also have claims.

Some aerial photographs taken in October last year, seen by Reuters, showed several Chinese-occupied reefs in the Spratlys had grown five times in size with some new structures built and what appeared to be an airstrip.

Beijing says its actions are within the scope of Chinese sovereignty.

Tags
South China Sea, United States, Asia-Pacific, Spratlys
Join the Discussion
More News
Judge Gavel

Police Solves Cold Case Using DNA From Cigarette To Find Man Involved in 1982 Rape and Murder Case of 13-Year-Old Girl

Exonerate

DNA Evidence Exonerates 4 Men Arrested for Infamous 1991 Yogurt Shop Murder: 'Their Entire Youth Was Taken Away From Them'

Former Prince Andrew

Police Arrests Former Prince Andrew on Suspicion of Misconduct After Leaks of Communication With Late Sex Offender Jeffrey Epstein

Mountaineer Couple

39-Year-Old Mountaineer Receives Suspended Five-Month Prison Sentence After Leaving Girlfriend To Freeze to Death on Austria's Highest Peak